Senior Mechanical Systems Engineer (2 Openings)
Senior Mechanical Systems Engineer
6K Inc. is a high-growth, high-tech, company focused on the sustainable production of advanced materials. The company’s two divisions 6K Energy and 6K Additive are focused on the production of sustainable and domestically produced battery materials used in electric vehicles and grid storage as well as additive manufacturing powders made from sustainable sources. The UniMelt® microwave plasma processing system is a disruptive technology that significantly lowers the environmental impact with far less energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions compared to other conventional material manufacturing processes. Our technology is transforming engineered materials into revolutionary products that advance industries across additive manufacturing, renewable energy, aerospace, consumer electronics, and more.
6K was recently recognized by Forbes as Best Startup Employer for 2022. We are backed by a world-renowned investor group including Koch Strategic Platforms, Energy Impact Partners, Anzu, Volta Energy Technologies, launch Capital, and Material Impact. 6K has raised more than $350M to date.
We are actively seeking team members who would bring a strong work ethic and personal integrity to our fast-paced dynamic environment and are looking for an opportunity to challenge the boundaries of traditional manufacturing.
- Design and implement upgrades to existing systems.
- Multi-site responsibilities. Flexible with commuting and travel.
- Analyze equipment malfunctions and failures and develop corrective action.
- Design and source fixtures and adapters for system repairs and maintenance.
- Lead cross-functional teams through concept generation and design reviews.
- Read, create, and edit equipment P&ID’s or schematics.
- Utilize data to improve equipment uptime, thruput, and yield.
- Work with process team to develop equipment specifications for next generation products.
- Work with engineering team to design and develop new equipment.
- Document equipment installation, maintenance and troubleshooting procedures for reference purposes.
- Work with or lead technicians to implement equipment installations and builds.
- Act as point of contact for equipment performance related questions and concerns.
Tackle modification/upgrade challenges of a multi-disciplinary nature, including:
- Mechanical and electrical systems.
- Gas and water flow systems.
- Hardware design.
- BOM management.
- Engineering change orders.
- Build/install documentation.
- Equipment maintenance procedures.
- Testing/Validation protocols.
- BSME or related discipline
- Five (5+) years of experience with a proven track record of tackling complex, multi-disciplinary problems including those without prior knowledge.
- Previous experience in an industrial process industry involving movement of solid, liquid, or gaseous material.
- Proven record of maintaining and improving production equipment.
- Fluency with SolidWorks.
- Self-directed learner who can own a project and drive to solution with limited outside direction.
- Possesses a “do-what-it-takes” attitude which might require going above and below nominal scope.
- Background in powder handling equipment – specifically feeding and collection of fine (1-100micron) powder highly desired but not required
Equal Opportunity Employer
At 6K we believe that no one should be discriminated against because of their differences, such as age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, religion, or sexual orientation. Employment decisions are made without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law. We are also committed to providing veteran employment opportunities