New Product Introduction (NPI) Engineer/Technologist
New Product Introduction (NPI) Engineer/Technologist
Who We Are
Headquartered in Ottawa (Kanata), Ontario and privately held, Equispheres is a materials science company focused on advanced technologies such as additive manufacturing and cold spray applications. Equispheres’ vision is to unlock the potential of these technologies by engineering and providing ultra-high-performance, mono-sized metal powders.
Equispheres’ patent-pending atomization technology produces free-flowing, consistently sized, agglomerate and fine-free, spherical metal powders, designed to significantly improve manufacturing processes, part quality and reliability of customers’ end use applications.
Equispheres’ staff of researchers, metallurgists and engineers offer a range of services including custom alloy development and application support required to meet demanding aerospace, automotive, medical, and military component requirements.
Equispheres is currently seeking an experienced New Product Introduction (NPI) Engineer/Technologist to join our growing technical team and be a part of the transformative additive manufacturing industry.
We are a fast-paced materials science business, engaged in the continued development and commercialization of our advanced powder-producing processes and their application in the industry.
In this key role, the successful applicant will lead a group of technicians and technologists to assist in the scale-up and commissioning of our novel powder production technology and related process equipment. This role will manage and maximize efficiency of applied resources, manage parts and processes, training, and schedules to ensure a smooth and safe transition of the equipment to full (24/7) operations.
The position will primarily be based on the production floor with a significant portion of hands-on assembly/disassembly, problem-solving and reporting. Some flexibility to support across all work-shifts with an eye-for-details is vital. as is a continuous improvement attitude towards achieving business goals and KPIs.
The ideal applicant will be a demonstrated self-starter and problem-solver with a broad range of technical, hands-on and interpersonal skills seasoned in a related industry. The applicant will display a can-do attitude, inquisitive mind and be comfortable suggested ideas technical or otherwise across projects or the broader business.
This position will work closely with all members of the Equispheres technical and operations teams reporting to the VP of Engineering.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Recognized bachelor’s degree / diploma in Mechanical Engineering or equivalency.
- 8+ years of demonstrated hands-on experience working with production and operations teams to deliver products.
- 5+ years leading a small team of technicians and technologists and interfacing with other technical disciplines in a production setting.
- Demonstrated organizational and time-management skills to coordinate resources, parts and processes.
- Exposure or experience with one or more of the following:
- Mechanical design or assembly of piping, fittings and related gas and powder transfer/conveyance systems.
- Electro-mechanical systems.
- Design, application, or assembly of fluid power systems (hydraulic, pneumatic, vacuum).
- Specifying and applying a variety of industrial process components to new or existing systems (e.g., valves, pressure & temperature sensors, flow controllers, blowers and pumps).
- Use of hand-tools and power tools including mills, lathes, bandsaws.
- Demonstrated experience and/or knowledge working with one or more of the following:
- Preparing, reading and maintaining P&IDs and PFDs.
- Developing training plans, following/maintaining SOPs and QA procedures.
- Installation and coordination of new production and process plant equipment.
- Developing new production workflows.
- Cost-benefit analysis of existing and new production processes.
- Leading or supporting risk assessments, PSSRs and HAZOP.
- Developing and monitoring KPIs.
- 3+ years of experience with SolidWorks.
Highly Desirable Requirements:
- Previous experience leading a team from installation through to commissioning.
- Experience with electrical wiring and controls, PLCs an asset.
- Professional designation or the ability to acquire or transfer within 6 months.
- Knowledge and applied experience in powder processing and material science.
- Experience and exposure to any metal atomization process, ideally those with aluminum.
- Experience designing or working with melt-facing components and equipment.
- Ceramic experience an asset.
- Proficiency with FEA/CFD software.
- Production ramp-up experience and working within a quality management framework.
- Working knowledge of applicable regulations and codes (including TSSA, CEC, NFPA, OHSA).
Physical Skill and Abilities
Ability to work in an office setting and production floor.
Working at Equispheres
Equispheres values integrity, equity, respect, compassion and dignity and it is committed to provide a positive, open, inclusive, accessible work environment that applies and embodies those values. At Equispheres, we all contribute to making the environment a positive and great place for everyone. We believe this is critical to our success. Safety is always important – follow, respect and be a champion of safe practices.
Equispheres provides competitive pay and benefits and is proud to offer all our employees an opportunity to participate in our share options program.
5-10% (initially), 10-25% (potentially).
Please apply online or send 1) cover letter and 2) resume via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please reference New Product Introduction (NPI) Engineer/Technologist in the e-mail subject.
Equispheres is an equal opportunity employer, with policies and practices intended to build an inclusive and accessible work environment. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please include in your cover letter when applying for the position and all efforts to provide the appropriate accommodation will be put in place.