Senior Chemical Engineer - R&D
Do you want to be on the cutting edge of the clean energy/climate tech industry? Are you excited about the intersection of renewable energy and the circular economy? We are too. And that’s why we launched SOLARCYCLE, Inc, a tech-driven recycling platform designed to maximize solar sustainability. Our process takes end of life solar panels and dismantles them into individual components or materials.
About the role
We are seeking a Senior Chemical Engineer to join our recycling facility in Mesa, AZ. As a key member of our R&D team, you will play a vital role in running laboratory tests and piloting chemical processes for the recycling of silicon and CdTe solar panels. The main focus will be on developing efficient methods to separate and recover metals and semiconductors. Additionally, you will have the opportunity to lead and manage a team of lab technicians and chemists as we expand our research capabilities. This role will report directly to the company’s Chief Technology Officer (CTO).
Roles and responsibilities
- Develop and implement wastewater treatment strategies for the recycling facility.
- Design and conduct laboratory tests to evaluate chemical processes for the recycling of silicon and CdTe solar panels.
- Monitor and analyze data from laboratory, pilot scale, and industrial scale operations to identify opportunities for process optimization and efficiency improvement.
- Maintain accurate and detailed records of laboratory experiments, pilot scale operations, and process parameters.
- Monitor and analyze data to identify opportunities for process optimization, efficiency improvement, and cost reduction.
- Prepare technical reports, including data analysis, conclusions, and recommendations.
- Collaborate with the Director of R&D to recruit and onboard additional lab technicians and chemists as required.
This position may have supervisory responsibilities as the teams are built out.
Education, training and professional experience
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Chemical Engineering or a related field. Advanced degrees or relevant certifications are a plus.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in chemical engineering, with a focus on process development and optimization.
- Strong background in chemical processes related to recycling, preferably in the field of silicon or CdTe solar panels.
- Experience in running laboratory tests and transitioning them to pilot scale operations
- Knowledge of separation and recovery methods for metals and semiconductors.
- Proficiency in process simulation software (e.g., Aspen Plus) and data analysis tools.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to troubleshoot process-related issues.
- Strong project management abilities, with the capability to manage multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously.
- Leadership skills and the ability to manage and motivate a team.
- Effective communication and collaboration skills to work cross-functionally with the R&D team and other stakeholders.
Note: This position is based in Mesa, AZ, USA. Relocation to the Phoenix area or a willingness to relocate is required.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that applicants are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. If you think this role is for you but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right person for this role.
You will be working alongside a highly successful team who deliver amazing innovative work in the solar PV industry! The solar industry needs a global end-of-life partner to restore, renew and ultimately recycle yesterday’s solar panels for tomorrow’s clean energy projects. SOLARCYCLE aims to be the partner of choice for solar asset owners looking for a responsible solution to their end-of-life system needs.
Solar power is one of the most powerful tools humanity has in our fight against climate change. But for solar to truly scale to its full potential, we need to create renewable supply chains and a vibrant secondary market for upcycled panels and recycled materials. SOLARCYCLE was founded by experts and advocates in solar, climate and circular economy. Our investors come from the frontlines of the solar industry, including the founders of SolarCity, SunPower and Nextracker. This is the next frontier - ensuring a cleaner, more sustainable and domestic supply of the critical minerals needed for the next wave of solar. We exist to make clean energy massively scalable and even more sustainable by radically advancing recycling technology and infrastructure for the solar industry. If this resonates with you, we really want to meet you.
Equal employment opportunity
SOLARCYCLE is an equal employment opportunity employer and makes employment decisions, including but not limited to, hiring, firing, promotion, demotion, training, and/or compensation, on the basis of merit. Employment decisions are based on an individual's qualifications as they relate to the job under consideration. The Company's policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions, the actual sex of the individual, or the gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, including religious dress practices and religious grooming practices, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected veteran or military status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws, ordinances, or regulations. The Company is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. This commitment applies to all persons involved in the operations of the Company and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee of the Company, including supervisors and co-workers.